To Block or Not to Block someone on Twitter?
If you have been on twitter long enough, you might have come across various kinds of people on twitter. Not all of them are nice. Some are weird, some insult you, some are creepy, some are dirty, and did I mention some are weird? I *know* that this is a sensitive topic. All of us might have different opinions regarding blocking someone on twitter. This post is just my opinion.
We all have a certain criteria before we decide to hit the dreaded block option. And it does hurt if you are on the receiving end of the block. I know of tweeps who block people just because they didn’t follow back or unfollowed them! I don’t agree with that. People follow and unfollow everyday, it’s not a big deal. But blocking is somewhat a big deal. It is completely removing someone from your timeline – forever. I think twice (sometimes more than that) before I decide to block a person. Here are the situations I have encountered where I have been forced to hit ‘block’~
1. Insulting tweets: When someone is insulting you, sends you hateful tweets or is being extremely rude or racist, block them. We don’t need such people in our timeline. Remember, ”Get rid of people who try to bring you down in any way ”
2. Blocking Spam: I believe all of us do it frequently. Spam is an annoyance and hampers our tweeting experience. If you send a single tweet mentioning “iPad”, “iPhone” or “vacation”, your mentions will be filled with multiple tweets sending you links for a “free iPhone4!!” and “Free trip to Antarctica!” Yeah, right. Block.
3. Harassment: If someone sends harassing/abusive tweets to you, or your loved ones on twitter, or to anyone for that matter – it is better to block them. Harassing someone is just wrong and needs to be dealt with seriously. Remember, twitter bullying should not be tolerated. Read this.
4. Umm, x rated… stuff: Need I say more?
5. Bots which tweet only links, trying to ‘sell’: Recently @lbruning tweeted me:
“I block someone on twitter when they are trying to sell me a ‘thing’ instead of uplifting my soul, mind or humor.”
I agree. There are tons of bots on twitter who spam your mentions with every tweet linking to their sites or with suspicious looking links. I usually block and report them for spam right away. Not all bots are spam though.
So here were some of the reasons why I block tweeps, primarily because they do not add value to my twitter experience. How about you? What makes you block someone on twitter? What is your experience with the ‘block button’? Do you agree or disagree with this post? Let me know in the comments!